2/4/08

Fly Fishing Film Tour

A whole new set of fly fishing films are coming out for 2008.  You can check out the website at www.flyfishingfilmtour.com.  After looking at some of the previews, I was most intrigued Fish Bum I: Mongolia, Equilibrium, and Fishizzle.  Fish Bum is about fishing for Taimen, supposedly the world's largest trout, in Mongolia.  I am not sure, however, that Taimen are the largest.  Steelhead, after all, show almost no genetic variation with rainbow trout.  Which is bigger, a British Columbia Steelhead or a Taimen?  Someday when I have more money and time, I will find out for myself.   Equilibrium is a film about the Bristol Bay Pebble Mine and features Gary Loomis, the founder of G. Loomis Rods who now dedicates a lot of his time to conservation efforts.  Finally, Fishizzle looks like an entertaining take about fishing in Alaska.

Luckily, while I am at the Environmental History Conference in Boise, ID, the Fly Fishing Film Tour is there.  Hopefully I'll be able to dodge an awkward dinner with fellow academics to see some fishing.  Maybe next year the tour will come out to Charlottesville.  

No comments: